Monday, 6 October 2014

DAY 10- Nutrition and Protein Shakes

Nutrition and Protein Shakes


The second day I was home I decided to weigh myself to see if I was loosing weight. As I was only able to gain two kilos before surgery. Weight gain is not my strong point even though before surgery I was eating more than normal I still struggled to gain weight. This is because I have a very fast metabolism that burns up my food faster than normal. Because of this faster metabolism I like to try and eating about every three hours. I only weighed 52 Kg when I went in for surgery.  I wasn't going to be able to chew for six weeks, I knew it would be difficult to keep weight on. When I hopped on the scales I had already lost the two kilos that I had gained prior to surgery.  I decided I needed to start eating some food with some more substance to it to try and keep weight on. This is when I started eating lots of Alfredo pasta. This was keeping the weight on but I started feeling like I had no energy at all.

I had been having protein shakes as well as they were easy to drink. I was using Natures way Instant natural egg white protein and the chocolate protein. These were good but they were more for muscle growth and repair and I think they are more of  a health supplement to add extra protein to your diet not to put on weight. So I decided to to get a bulking powder. I'm now using MUSASHI, Bulk Mass Gain Protein Blend. You can mix this with milk or water and it actually taste pretty good. I have the Vanilla flavour. This seems to be working much better then the natures way protein; however the scales broke a couple of days ago so I'm not sure on my actual weight but physically I look to be holding the weight. Will update you all when we fix the scales. 




Now back to nutrition, pasta and mass gain protein powder are easy meals to keep weight on. Unfortunately though you cant just live off pasta and protein shakes, because for me this just made me feel sick and I was feeling very faint and frail a lot of the time. Also I would not recommend having a protein shake before bed as some sports supplements have an energy component in them, it makes it very difficult to get to sleep. Anyway so now I have decided that because my body is trying to heal itself I have to feed it good fuel for it to be able to do its job. So each morning I have a smoothie with a mixture of fresh fruit, yoghurt, coconut oil ( this contains healthy fats), and either some milk, juice or water. Then for lunch I either have a pasta like Alfredo or spaghetti to get some carbohydrates in for the day. Dinner is usually a vegetable soup which is just a mixture of all the vegetable we have in the fridge which mum cooks up and then purees them so that its a smooth liquid. I think she may also add either a chicken or beef stock to it to add extra flavour. These actually taste pretty good. If its not vegetable soup its some other kind of soup. Tonight I'm having chicken soup. So basically fruit in the morning, carbs for lunch and vegetables for dinner with protein shakes in between when I get hungry. Now I'm not a health expert or a nutritionist so if you are struggling with nutrition after surgery you should consult a professional. 

Here are some photos of what I look like today. The bottom of my nose is still numb and tingly as well as the are above and including my top lip. Still cant feel my top jaw either when I brush my teeth, still completely numb. There is still a bit of swelling in the middle of my face under my eyes, around my nose and my top lip. Feeling much better now that my diet is better I have more energy and not feeling faint any more. 



Sitting on the couch blogging

still some bruising on my left side- Day 10 post surgery

No comments:

Post a Comment